I pursue You
Not because I must
But because I want
Want to build a temple
Whose walls are untainted
Want to build a home
In a Kingdom unconquerable
Want to build a relationship
For eternity unfathomable
I want You
Not because I must
But because I love
Love the whole of Your character
With all my mind, heart and being
Love the whole of Your Spirit
Which gives hope that will never disappoint
Love the whole of Your heart
By which Your tender compassions fail not
I love You
Not because I must
But because I choose
Choose to honor Your Name
For You alone are Holy
Choose to honor Your commitment
Forsaking all other gods to stand by You
Choose to honor Your grace
Freely giving what I undeservedly received
I choose You
Not because I must
But because I will
Will take refuge under Your wings
Trusting in the midst of darkness
Will stand as joint Heir with You
Sharing Your suffering to share Your Glory
Will remain devoted to You
Living with resolute purpose of heart
When I take Your hand
I will take it not because I must.
I will take it because You formed me,
and I know and understand Your Name.
I will take it because You love me,
and I trust and rely on You, knowing You
will never forsake me – no, never.
I stand with my hand open,
Not because I must,
But because I have set my love faithfully upon You.
I wait expectantly on my Lord.
Pursue me
Not because you must
But because you want
Want to build a path
To promised land unexplored
Want to build a home
Upon firm ground untrodden
Want to build a life
For years unexhausted
Want me
Not because you must
But because you love
Love the whole of my character
Granting it freedom to express
Love the whole of my spirit
Though it daily stumbles and disappoints
Love the whole of my heart
When it is vulnerable with armor unfastened
Love me
Not because you must
But because you choose
Choose to honor my delicacy
By protecting me as yourself
Choose to honor our commitment
Loyally anchored amidst tides of emotion
Choose to honor my veneration
In living affectionately and dealing sincerely
Choose me
Not because you must
But because you will
Will make your nightly bed with me
Whether in blessings or in want
Will stand as joint heir with me
Inheriting unmerited favor and grace as one
Will seek God’s Face with me
Edifying our covenant as praise to Him
When you take my hand,
Take it not because you must.
Take it because the Lord who formed me
sculpted my hand to fit into yours.
Take it because you love me,
as the Lamb loves the church, and I
will follow, love and admire you.
I stand with my hand open,
Not because I must,
But because my eyes seek the man my heart knows.
I wait faithfully for my companion.
(Scripture References Include: Ephesians 5:25-33, I Peter 3:6-7, Colossians 3:19, Deuteronomy 6:5, Romans 5:5, Lamentations 3:22, I Samuel 8:8, Psalm 36:7, Revelations 15:4, Romans 8:17, Acts 11:23, Psalm 91:14, Mark 14:50)


4 Responses to “love letters”
this is so strong, and sweet, and as your less-bold sister i have to give you props for posting it because it feels so raw and true. :) thanks for sharing all its iterations, it was interesting to see it develop and change.
and again, nice pome, as they say!
YES!!! nicely done.
i like it posted like this, it works well. though i do wish people could see it with the tabbed lines and all. very cool.
favorite parts:
"Inheriting unmerited favor and grace as one
Will seek God’s Face with me
Edifying our covenant as praise to Him"
and
"Loyally anchored amidst tides of emotion
Choose to honor my veneration
In living affectionately and dealing sincerely"
really beautiful, i know we over-use that word .... but that's totally what this poem is :)
OH, and it makes much more sense that the second part is not Christ speaking to you ... not sure why i was dense with that the first time. i love what it really is: love letterS. (yes, i meant to capitalize the S)
Quite simply brilliant.
Love the whole of my heart
When it is vulnerable with armor unfastened
DUDE. what IS that?!?!?!
Choose to honor my delicacy
By protecting me as yourself
AND THAT?!
you are amazing.
c
Post a Comment