So, the squirrel that frequents my birdfeeder has finally caught on. Ellie, he seems to have realized, poses no danger to him. He was so consumed by stuffing himself with sunflower seeds that he didn't hear Ellie coming this afternoon... he only noticed when she was within three feet of him. He panicked and frantically darted away - but, when Ellie barely glanced and went on with her business, he came back to the feeder and recommenced his meal. He finally got it. Unless he smells like bacon, she's really not interested. Anyway, he barely moved when Ellie came back in the house, and then he let me get within a few feet of him, looked me right in the eye, and proceeded to eat the piece of bread I threw at his feet. It was great. He just stared at me while I talked to him, eating whatever I threw his way. It seems it's a goal of mine to make as many animals well-fed (some, ah-hem, would say portly) as I can.
(Oh, and by the way... B-A-S-I-L. Seriously. Anyone want some basil? I have a plethora. It just keeps growing. I'm happy to share.)


No response to “A Brave Squirrel, A Plump Dog and A (Slightly Odd) Girl Who Talks to Wildlife...”
Post a Comment