So I need to put these in some realistic order, since reading a chapter or two of each at a time is obviously (a) not working and (b) not getting the best out of any of them. The contestants are:
(Note: I am only including books that I currently own...)
Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Narnia (Entire Series), C.S. Lewis
The Lord of the Rings (Entire Trilogy), J.R.R. Tolkien
The Penny, Joyce Meyer
Approval Addiction, Joyce Meyer
The Confident Woman, Joyce Meyer
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo
Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
So... I know you have opinions. Lay them on me. (I'm already thinking of putting LOTR towards the end - it will take a while, and seems like a good thing to look forward to post-Christmas...)
Sunday, November 4, 2007
the "need-to-read" list.
Labels:
c.s. lewis,
joyce meyer,
lord of the rings,
random


7 Responses to “the "need-to-read" list.”
I made a typo which affected the meaning of a sentence, and there is no way to edit a comment that I can see. here's what I said, now semantically and grammatically correct.
i think i might separate the 'functional non-fiction' from the others (Approval Addiction, The Confident Woman), those are best approached on a chapter by chapter basis in my experience. As for the others, you've got a huge trilogy and an epic; I'd approach Narnia as a series of seven individual books, not necessarily as a group, and The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe might make a nice read prior to Christmas. The Penny didn't knock my socks off. It was fine. I wouldn't rush up to reading it though. Mere Christianity took more intellectual work than Screwtape for me, Screwtape was a quick read.
Those are my thoughts. :)
1. NARNIA!!!! GAH!!!! NOW! GO! READ IT!
2. SCREWTAPE LETTERS! yeah i love cs lewis.
3. LORD OF THE RINGS!!!! THE GALLANTRY! THE HEROISM!!!
i haven't read mere christianity but i hear it's a little harder than screwtape. i want to read the tale of despereaux. any joyce meyer is good i'm sure, but like cg1 says, these are more 'functional' books and less pastime reading. jane eyre and/or great expectations = bleh. i have never heard of the time traveler's wife.
do i even need to say what i'd suggest??
brilliant. only one thing: have you read ender's game?
oh and of course i have to suggest The Four Loves ;)
Dump them all and go wander off into some other literary wilderness. I'm altogether fine with never having read CS Lewis or Tolkien, though I did see the movies.
Yep, just stirring up trouble!
:-)
Post a Comment